Unemployment is low these days, and fewer workers are looking for jobs. Good candidates are hard to find in this shrinking pool, and employers are feeling the pinch. You know that hiring the right people is essential to your success, but how do you make it happen? Glassdoor, the online giant of employment research, laid out 5 key trends to watch in their latest report, Looking Ahead: 5 Jobs Trends to Watch in 2017
1. HR Is Becoming “People Science.” Harnessing the power of big data, we can predict employee success using customized screening tools and precise, evidence-based algorithms. These algorithms help companies increase their diversity, enhance employee satisfaction and improve retention. They will continue to become more sophisticated and widespread.
2. Every Job Will Be Affected By Automation. While immediate large-scale job losses to automation are unlikely, every worker will be using more technology to get the job done. This will require continued IT investment across the economy, as well as continuous improvements in worker preparation and training.
3. Benefits Offerings Will Mature. Although the benefits packages offered in the tech industry are legendary – pool tables and popcorn machines at work, anyone? – these young companies are expected to focus on more traditional benefits packages as they age. Instead of yoga studios and pet-friendly workspaces, 2017 will see improvement in fundamental benefits like health insurance coverage and PTO, which tie more directly to employee satisfaction.
4. The Gender Pay Gap Will Be Targeted. Industries that historically underpay their female employees will be taking steps towards pay equity. Data tools will allow companies to self-analyze and self-correct their compensation practices, and publish the results to potential candidates. These changes will bring more women into IT roles, and motivate more women to pursue IT as a career.
5. The Gig Economy Will Find Its Limits. While businesses like Uber and AirBnB will continue to play a role in the economy, they will not become the central business model. Their example, however, will drive increased flexibility in working hours and conditions in many industries, as businesses seek to attract skilled employees who are looking for a healthy work-life balance.
Hiring the right people is always a challenge. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Where to start? Staffing agencies like Two Roads can help you incorporate these trends into your plans for growth.