December 22, 2020
2020 is over and it is time to move forward. Finally we have stabilization in many industries which should help employment significantly in early 2021. Sarah and I were invited to share our thoughts and ideas on the market on the Digital Enterprise Society Career Development web series. Attached is a link to our video and our presentation notes.
CURRENT JOB MARKET
- $60 million jobs lost since 3/20
- Job growth has slowed during the 4th quarter
THE GOOD – There plenty of reasons to be optimistic
- Many of the people who were laid off or furloughed have returned to work
- COVID Vaccinations have begun
- Additional Government Stimulus money has been approved (PPL & EIDL)
- Election destabilization is over
- Stock market is strong
- Housing market is strong
- PRIME lending rate is expected to remain low, giving businesses an opportunity to borrow for growth
2021 EMPLOYMENT PROJECTIONS
- Logistics – warehousing, drivers, construction, automation, IT
–Think all businesses that are ancillary to Amazon
- Space & Technology – Government funded programs will be strong for 2-5 years
- Information Technology – Industries have moved virtual – developers, web designers, banking, online business
- Home Improvement – Home Depot, Lowes
- Telecommunications – 5G construction and deployment
- Oil & Gas
- Government – budget cuts are imminent
- Restaurant, hospitality, entertainment
- Commercial Aircraft and Airlines – modest gains expected in 2021
YOUR EMPLOYMENT STRATEGY
- Set daily goals for your job-finding process
–Applications, emails, phone calls, networking
- Be Positive!
–COVID has isolated so many.
–Bring a positive attitude and presence to your online meetings
ON-LINE PRESENCE – Make yourself “Findable”
–Build a solid and informative profile on LinkedIN and be sure it mirrors your resume.
–Build profiles on at least 6 job boards that relate to your career (Zip Recruiter, Monster, Career Builder, Glassdoor, LinkedIN, etc.)
- Industries are changing FAST, so read, read, read!
- Find new industries to learn about
- Subscribe to industry news sources
- Get in the game!
- Use your on-line platform, research and comment on articles, ask questions, build your network, and become involved
- Use online platform messages to connect and inquire about jobs
- Make direct calls to potential hiring managers
- Fill out on-line applications daily
- You’ve got one shot!
- Be prepared – virtual and phone interviews are the new norm.
- Know your platform
- Go Old School and write a thank you note
- Utilize email and online messaging for additional contact and follow up
DON’T GIVE UP
- The market is tough! Stay mentally strong and healthy!
- Be positive – good things take time
- Set a non work-related goal
Excellent salary source from Robert Half Intl. https://www.roberthalf.com/salary-guide
I know this has been a tough year on so many fronts. I sincerely wish you the happiest of holidays and please know that my team at 2Roads is always available to help you with your career. Please contact us through our website or social channels.
Happy Holidays – BV